Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Adventures in Wine - French Table Wine

For the past few weeks my husband and I have been sampling different wines with dinner and making notes about them. We're not exactly connoisseurs but it's been fun so far. Though I must say I don't understand those people who smell/taste so many different things in wine - I've heard everything from plums, to pears, to rosehips. To me, all wines either taste sweet or dry - fruity or woody. And usually the sweet and fruity go together and likewise dry and woody. I either like it, or I don't. That's it. I guess I've never thought anymore about it.

Mostly we've been trying to drink red wine because we hear it's good for you. But this week we had white. My recipe for our Valentine's Day dinner (I'll post about that next) called for white wine.

We chose a french table wine from Rhone Valley Vineyards called La Vieille Ferme.

What the bottle says:
This elegant and fruity wine comes from vines grown high on the slopes of the Luberon Mountains, one of the Rhone Valley's coolest vineyards. It has been meticulously selected and blended by the Perrin family, who also produce one of France's most acclaimed wines, Chateau de Beaucastel.

The blend of Grenache Blanc, Bourboulenc, Ugni Blanc and Roussane grapes has produced a typical Rhone Valley white. Serve it chilled as an aperitif, or with grilled fish, chicken, or Mediterranean cuisine.


We had it with shrimp and it went with it very nicely. It was not overly sweet or dry, but well balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment