Friday, April 30, 2010

Fresh and Flavorful Turkey Burgers with Homemade Burger Buns


There's nothing like the zest that fresh herbs add to a dish. In my experience, the use of fresh herbs allows for and even commands simplicity in cooking. Pairing one or two fresh herbs with simple, unobtrusive ingredients really allows their flavor to take center stage. My turkey burgers this week were both wonderfully simple and full of flavor. They are seasoned with chopped fresh rosemary (from my herb garden) and store-bought parsley (mine's not quite ready for cutting).


Keeping it simple allows for a pleasant, fuss-free weeknight meal. A simple meal also lends itself to taking on greater baking endeavors - such as made-from-scratch burger buns! For these buns, I followed the recipe for Tassajara Yeasted Bread in the Tassajara Bread Book (the recipe can also be found at Culinate.com). I divided the recipe in half and then separated the dough into six rolls instead of placing it in a loaf pan. This recipe calls for the dough to rise three times. I assumed that it would only need to rise twice so I hadn't budgeted time for a third rise. Therefore, I omitted the first rise and all still turned out fine.

Turkey Burgers with Fresh Herbs and Goat Cheese
-adapted from MyRecipes.com-
Yield: 4 medium burgers
  • 1 pound lean ground turkey
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
  • pinch of black pepper (or to taste)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
  • 2 ounces goat cheese, cut into 4 slices
  • olive oil or cooking spray
In a medium bowl, whisk together egg with herbs, salt, and pepper. Add bread crumbs and ground turkey and mix just until well combined. In a saute pan, heat olive oil or cooking spray. Add burgers and cook about 5 minutes on each side or until meat in center is no longer pink. Top with goat cheese and your choice of burger toppings. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. There's nothing better than the smell of fresh homemade bread. Wonderful post. The burger looks perfect. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lazaro, nothing smells better than homemade bread baking. I can't wait to try these burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love turkey burgers...wow....goat cheese and tomato..I would have never thought of goat cheese...and I do love goat cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH... MY... I envy people that are willing to make their own hamburger buns. I seem to lack the energy to go the extra mile.

    I've become a follower of your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally impressive! I'm afraid of baking bread, isn't that sad? Anyway, these burgers look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummerz! I love that you made homemade buns! Were they light and airy enough? I know it's hard to get them that way sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lazaro and Linda: Yes, I love the smell too - especially as the dough rises. My dog must like it too because she starts going nuts as soon as the scent hits the air!

    Moogie and Hungry dog: No need to be afraid, it's not as hard as you think. :) Mostly, it just takes time.

    Stella: They were probably the most "airy" of any buns that I've made so far. I'm thinking that letting the dough rise twice may have something to do with that, I'm not sure. In the past I've just used instant yeast and only let the dough rise once.

    Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i had fresh rosemary for the first time a few weeks ago, and i'm never looking back--it's AMAZING, and sooo much better than dried. it's an awesome herb to add to some juicy burgers as well, and good for you for making that bread! yeah, i'll say it--i like the looks of your buns. :)

    ReplyDelete