Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Barefoot Bloggers: Sour Cream Coffee Cake


This cake was fabulous! I admit, I did make quite a few adaptations. I don't do a lot of baking in the summer, particularly baking rich, heavy foods. So the changes that I made were in an effort to make it lighter and healthier while still staying as true as possible to the original recipe and flavor.

First off, since this cake looked gigantic, I made a half batch. I also used part whole wheat flour and low fat sour cream. I opted against the glaze and instead put all of the streusel on top. The cake was moist and and the flavors light and simple - the perfect after dinner treat. This is definitely a keeper and I will no doubt be seeking this recipe out to make as it was originally intended for a special occasion or holiday.

I've posted my adaptations below - as always you can click the title to view the original recipe.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake
(adapted from Barefoot Contessa)


6 tbs. butter, room temperature
3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. sour cream
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

Streusel

2 tbs. brown sugar
1/4 c. flour
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 1/2 tbs. cold butter
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour single layer 8-inch cake pan (I used a cheesecake pan so that I could remove the outer rim without disrupting the topping).

Cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, then add the vanilla and sour cream. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to the batter until just combined.

For the streusel, mix together sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in cold butter, then add walnuts. Pour into prepared pan then sprinkle streusel evenly on top. Bake for 40 - 50 minutes or until tester comes out clean.

Serve and enjoy!

To learn more about Barefoot Bloggers, click the icon below.


6 comments:

  1. Your cake and a cup of coffee and I would be in heaven! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a beautiful coffee cake...it looks like you made the right changes, it looks perfect! cut me off a big piece please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mm, sounds and looks good and I'd have to shrink the recipe too. This would be just the right size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really delicious. I love the border around your blog page! We loved this coffee cake as well, but I did not top mine with the drizzle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes. I love light cakes like this in the summer. And in the winter. And in the fall. Spring as well...

    YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! I wish I had decided to make it before the sweltering days of summer set in! Will have to ear mark it for the fall.

    ReplyDelete