Thursday, May 13, 2010

Barefoot Bloggers: Spring Green Risotto


I actually made this a while back and I must confess, I made a few omissions. Miguel has an aversion to peas so I left those out, and I forgot to get asparagus when I went to the store, so that's absent as well. This is the first time that I've ever made risotto and I think it turned out pretty well. Though I may have cooked it just a few minutes too long. It was not overdone but I think I let too much of the liquid cook away. I've never had risotto before but it seems like I remember seeing it on TV and thinking that it was a little more liquidy. I don't know, but the flavor was great. I was tasting it all throughout the cooking process and I can say that the addition of the mascarpone, Parmesan, and lemon juice mixture at the end really makes it special. This dish embodies the flavors and colors of spring.

You can find the recipe at Foodnetwork.com

Click the button below for more information about Barefoot Bloggers:


In other news, Thursday is meal planning day and I'm looking at my list and it's totally empty. Do you ever get into a food rut? I think I'm in one - though it's not because of a shortage of ideas. I have a whole three ring binder and a bookmark folder that's full of ideas but I can't think of a single thing that I want to cook. It seems that I often feel this way in the spring. I'm not quite ready for the cool, light meals of summer nor do I have an appetite for the heavy flavors of winter. I need something in between . . .

13 comments:

  1. Your risotto looks delicious! When I get in a cooking rut, I have my husband take me out to dinner. If you go to a restaurant that you frequently eat at, pick a dish that you haven't ordered before, then try to figure out how you would recreate it. Works for me every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic risotto dish. Hope you get out of your kitchen rut soon. If you want a hearty meal...then seasons be damned...make a hearty meal!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours looks great. I probably did leave a little more liquid in it - but my leftovers looked similar to yours and they were just as good. It did have a lot of ingredients so I can see leaving out one or two - I didn't have any chives and just put in some green onions in place of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like your risotto turned out perfectly! And yes, I know about food ruts. I think everyone has them...during a busy week, it's always easiest to fall back on favorite recipes you know by heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a perfect dish for spring. I can imagine enjoying this in garden with my family on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your risotto looks good even without the peas and asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The risotto sounds wonderful. I really should try my hand at making it more often-I think you may have inspired me.

    During the week, it seems that I am always in a food rut. By the weekend, I do a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your risotto sounds lovely; makes me want to make some soon!
    If in a food rut, do as I do: I eat chocolate, only!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the nice thing about risotto--it's so versatile! You can easily alter the flavors by adding or omitting ingredients as you like. Glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This risotto look fantastic and yummy, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all of the wonderful comments everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great food keep on cooking and I love your blog
    check me out at
    www.livingdorothystyle.com

    ReplyDelete