Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spring Cleaning


Gosh, I can't believe it's been over a week since I last posted. Spring cleaning is in full force around here. In the past I've never had time for spring cleaning. At least that was my perception. Now I see it as one of the perks of being unemployed.

It's funny how perceptions change. When I was working, I dreaded any kind of cleaning with the same fierceness that I might dread a tooth extraction. And while I was cleaning I was about as happy as I'd be during a tooth extraction as I woefully considered all the other things I'd rather be doing. Now though, with more time on my hands, I don't mind it as much.


The exertion of spring cleaning calls for a hardy lunch. This was supposed to be a Monte Cristo Sandwich with Sweet Mustard Sauce but I made so many adaptations I don't think you could really call it that. The whole "Monte Cristo" thing sounded too rich for my taste so basically what we have here is a ham and turkey sandwich. After I finished making the mustard sauce I decided that it was too messy for dipping so I added 1/4 c. of mayo and turned it into a spread. It was just as tasty that way and much less messy.

Sweet Mustard Spread - (Adapted from MyRecipes.com)
1/4 c. red currant jelly
2 tbs. Dijon mustard
1 tbs. orange juice
1/4 c. mayonnaise



For the pasta salad I used the same dressing as the one for my BLT Salad. To the pasta I added 1 pint of halved cherry tomatoes and one bunch of lightly boiled asparagus. I also topped each individual portion with one chopped scallion. It was even better the second day!

3 comments:

  1. A perfect lunch to re-charge a hard working body. I found your blog by chance and am so glad I did. I'll be back often to see what's up. Have a fabulous day...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious, and perfect after a morning of hard housework! I hate cleaning but might be able to motivate if I had one of these waiting for me! The salad looks fab too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the spring cleaning mood too...so far I have tackled my closet. Now I have to get motivated to fo the kids. The sandwich looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete